For now, we begin by listing some bullet points based on high level items from the book “Mandate for Change” that outline how to combat the biased disinformation of big media, with our comments enclosed in brackets.
- Expand funding for public and community broadcasting (with Republican de-funding of public radio, this necessitates voting out of office some of those that would commit such blatant travesties).
- Provide resources for civic, cultural, educational, and children’s programming in non-commercial media.
- Make more FM licenses available for low-power radio.
- Reduce postal rates for public affairs publications.
- Guarantee funds for public access television.
- Provide incentives for quality journalism [funded by penalties for poor, biased, or misleading reporting?].
- Reduce the power concentrated in vertically integrated media industries.
- Foster greater ownership diversity in broadcasting and cable.
- Ensure open and equitable access to content and services across all sectors of our network economy.
- Establish consumer protection rules that guarantee an open market for speech and commerce on the internet and prohibit discriminatory interference by network owners.
- Open public airwaves allocated for broadcast TV but unoccupied by a station (so-called “white spaces”) for wireless internet.
- Pair social programs that bring low cost computers and technology training to under-served communities with incentives to deploy broadband infrastructure.
We will get back to this shortly, but for now we stress that the media situation has deteriorated because politicians and government agencies have allowed it to, and that you remember this when elections roll around again.
If you have any questions or suggestions you may send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be notified of additions to this webpage
type your email address in the box below
|and then press the ‘enter’ key.|
SAVE US NOW by SAVE US NOW is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at www.saveusnow.org.
SAVE US NOW © 2011-2013 All Rights Reserved.